Title- Lab Technician
Supervisors Title- Quality Manager
Hours- Monday through Saturday (some Sundays) / 3rd shift (10 am-6pm)
General Inspection training is a mandatory prerequisite for all Lab Technicians. Also, both Level 1 and Level 2 ABC TruFast Inspection training are a mandatory prerequisite for all Lab Technicians. The Lab Technician will be responsible for the safe and efficient operation of any equipment utilized by him/her in the discharge of his/her responsibilities. Responsible for limited in-process and all final inspection to validate that the product adheres to specification. Has a thorough understanding of the Work Order, inspection techniques and any customer / industry specifications that may be required.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. But, this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.
● Education: High School diploma or equivalent
● Experience: One plus years experience in heat treating or related field, and previous inspection experience is desired.
● Language Skills: Must be able to communicate effectively orally and in writing. Must be able to communicate professionally
with internal and external customers.
● Physical Demands: Must be able to sit and stand for prolonged periods, bend, stoop and lift up to 50 lbs.
● Must have good vision, corrected / uncorrected, for precise reading of equipment.
● Must have working knowledge of all testing equipment and terminology.
● Must have general knowledge of commercial materials and heat treating equipment.
● Must be able to read and interpret blueprints, be detail oriented and possess manual dexterity.
● Computer / data entry, knowledge of ERP’s and experience in Microsoft Office software preferred.
● Work Environment: May be exposed to heat, noise, humidity, fumes.
● Must be able to work overtime as needed and / or any shift as scheduled.
● Must be able to obtain and maintain status of certified forklift operator.
● Willing to participate in technical training courses related to heat treatment as requested or recommended by the Company.
● Ability to read and interpret heat treatment specifications as supplied by the customer and/or Company Engineering.
● Desired Skills: Ability to make sound decisions based on evidence and willingness to expand knowledge through personal drive.
● Must have successfully completed Level 1 and Level 2 ABC TruFast Inspection training.
● Performs all other assigned duties.
Duties & Responsibilities-
● Responsible for any daily maintenance / calibration verification of inspection equipment as applicable.
● Must have basic knowledge in blueprint / specification interpretation, use of micrometers, calipers and tape measure.
● Accurately perform all product gaging, measuring, Rockwell / Micro-Hardness inspections and records results as required.
● Must work in a manner consistent with the company QMS and EMS as applicable.
● Prioritize and preform in-process inspection for all batch furnaces to ensure harmonious work flow.
● Efficient use of cut-off saw, thermo set mounting press and automatic grinding / polishing equipment.
● Responsible for the preparation of specimens for metallographic examination, basic metallographic interpretation and
performing or assisting with metallurgical investigations.
● Set up and operation of the Leitz Metallograph / Microscope.
● Examine prepared material sample microstructures and evaluate by comparing to industry standard photo-micrographs.
● Responsible for the completion of test reports, the conveyance of pertinent information to relieving Inspector, close liaison
with production operators and supervisors and the segregation of material or product where so required.
● Completes all visual and physical final inspections to ensure all customer requirements are met and documented.
● Verify outgoing weight / count, create heat treat certification as applicable and produce shipping documents.
● Brings any irregularities or other discrepancies / concerns to supervisor or management immediately.
● Understands and practices safety while mixing and handling steel etchants.
● Inventory and maintain stock levels of lab consumables; acids, alcohol, cutting, mounting, grinding and polishing supplies.
● Assist in the maintenance of all quality records and documents.
● Assist in the maintenance of the Non-Conforming Material Hold Area.
● Practices and promotes safety and good housekeeping.
● Interacts with customers, vendors, auditors and all levels of employees in a courteous and professional manner.
● Practices and promotes safety and good housekeeping.
●Frequent; Standing, bending, lifting, reaching, pulling and pushing.
●Occasional; Walking, sitting, talking, operation of small tools, hoist and material handling equipment.
●Environment; May be exposed to varying levels of heat, cold, noise, humidity, dust and various fumes.
●Required PPE; Steel toed boots, safety glasses and hearing protection required in all shop work areas.
About Bluewater Thermal Solutions
Bluewater Thermal Solutions owns a multi-state network of commercial heat treatment and brazing plants. With twelve locations in the United States and Canada, Bluewater provides thermal processing and metal joining to over 2,000 customers. Without a doubt, Bluewater’s staff is the most experienced in the heat treating and brazing industry. Bluewater strives to exceed customers expectations in terms of service and total cost.