Why join us?
At all centers:
● By both volunteering and sightseeing, you will have a unique experience, and you will leave our center with a better understanding of your surroundings and IHF as an organization.
● As a Voluntourist, you would gain hands-on experience with an international not-for-profit NGO at the ground level and contribute your time and talents to substantially helping provide better opportunities for young people.
● You are asked to complete four hours of at-center work a day, six days a week (Monday to Saturday morning). These tasks vary from center to center, day to day. At our Indonesian
education centers, you will teach English to young students for whom English is a tool to secure better jobs in the future. In our children’s home in Kenya, daily tasks will include assisting with homework and organizing projects and activities for the children once they are back from the schools. The rest of the day and weekend you have free time to explore and sightseeing.
● All volunteers have a swing at delivering their parts and jump at the opportunity to collaborate with colleagues on projects. At all centers, you will provide the co-Directors with needs-based assistance in the daily maintenance of the centers, becoming a part of the IHF family and integral to the work we do.
● You will be supervised and guided by long-term volunteer co-Directors at your center, who will listen to your ideas and work with you on a daily basis.
This is an ideal opportunity to gain first-hand experience in international development, but still have time to explore a new place and culture. In Indonesia, our centers offer unique insights into Balinese Hinduism, the busy capital of Jakarta, or the beautiful and wild Sumatra where Aceh and Medan centers are based. Our Kenya center is close to numerous wildlife parks and safaris, while our Thailand center is near incredible temples, waterfalls and scenery. You will have plenty of time to visit these incredible settings, but work will remain your priority.
What you’ll need for this position?
● Basic written and spoken English.
● We value volunteers who are creative and innovative, willing to take responsibility and easily adapt to new conditions and unexpected situations.
● Our candidates are willing to make a commitment of minimum 2 weeks.
● Minimum age requirement is 16 years old (if under 18 – with parent’s permission only).
Each IHF center is a product of its environment and follows the cultural code and norms of its host country. That’s why you will need to swing in evolving and adapting and be the proud owner of a high intercultural sensitivity by showing your tolerance and respect to different views and ways of life.
A lot of NGO’s offer volunteering, but the cost for staying at their facilities is huge. What about the costs for being a volunteer at IHF?
We provide basic accommodation and food at our centers, where you will live with your co-workers. Even if our foundation is run entirely by volunteers just like you, we still manage to provide you these amenities for only:
● $150 per week, for an individual person;
● $200 per week, for married couples sharing a double bed (subjected to availability at the centers);
● $75 per week for children under the 16 coming with their families.
You will be responsible for your travel, visa, insurance or any other related costs and you can count on our teams to help you out with your travel and visa planning. We will also do our best to comply with guidelines to secure any grant or scholarship funding available at your university.
Interested? What are you waiting for then?
Let’s get to know each other!
Get to know us through different canals:
● You can read the IHF Annual report 2015 that contains the latest information about IHF Centers, Programs, Achievements, Finances and many more at http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/1317609/5a9ccb829e/547236145/08e4c4e6f7/
● Or why not check out our blog, where you can find stories of current and former volunteers http://ihfblog.wordpress.com/home/
● You can also read about us at http://rt.wildasia.org/2013/10/25/2013-inspiring-stories-destinations/ were you will see that we won the “Inspiring Story — Responsible Tourism Award” in 2013! And our great ratings at http://greatnonprofits.org/org/international-humanity-foundation-1
Now you are more familiar with us, give us the chance to get to know you by applying through our website at the following link: http://www.ihfonline.org/volunteer-application
About International Humanity Foundation
Half of IHF's mission is to educate the poor and the other half is to educate the world about the poor. Our vision is to strive for a world of leaders and citizens who have interacted with, and are truly knowledgeable about the world's poor. We believe in a "pass it on" philosophy where education is free and available for all who seek it. Those of us who have received a free education pass it on by helping others less fortunate by teaching, interacting and learning. With just a few hours a week, our volunteers, children and sponsors are changing the world we live in.
IHF is a nonreligious, nonpolitical, nonprofit organization that strongly believes in an equal opportunity for all and in preserving the cultures, traditions and beliefs of the marginalized communities it works in.